The İstanbul Şehir University Center for Higher Education Studies
came into existence in its core form as a result of extensive research and development activities during the formative period of the university, from 2007 to 2010.
It evolved into an official research center in 2015. The mission of the center is to understand and analyze complex social, educational, economic, and organizational phenomena concerning higher educaion and the university world from a multi-disciplinary perspective. Within the context of this mission, the center aims to promote:
- Top-notch knowledge and data production in the field of Turkish higher education: Despite its long historical background, issues of higher education in Turkey have not been the subject of intense scholarly inquiry. The institutional and academic past and present of the field are largely unexplored. The center promotes studies designed to produce relevant and applicable results that will aid in furthering the state of the art in the field.
- Academic and institutional excellence: The center aims to make concrete contributions to the administrative, scholarly, and pedagogical excellence of the university and its programs at the undergraduate and graduate level. In this regard, the center carries out application-oriented studies on ongoing research and training outcomes at the university at the program and departmental level. At a more general level, it also carries out institutional research with a special focus on higher education governance.
- Service to the society: The center seeks to contribute to the public service mission of higher education institutions by making all its work – from its reports, publications, projects, and databases to its academic workshops and in-service and vocational training and development activities – open and freely accessible to the public.
The center’s main areas of research and specific fields of study are as follows:
- Meaning, aims, and values in higher education: the idea of university; the changing nature of higher education.
- Governance and organization in higher education: governance and organization in higher education at the institutional, systemic, and global levels; higher education and science/research policies.
- Financing in higher education: sustainable financing of non-profit universities; income generation; cost-sharing models.
- Comparative studies in higher education: global and regional tendencies in higher education; comparative-historical analysis of higher education systems.
- Higher education in Turkey: current and historical issues in Turkish higher education; universities and cities; access to higher education and inequalities.
- Areas of research strategically important to ŞEHİR: growth and expansion; academic and administrative excellence and integration; policy design; quality assurance.
Altunizade South Campus
Kuşbakışı Cad. No:2 34662
Altunizade - Üsküdar - İstanbul
Phone: 44 44 0 34
Fax: 0216 474 53 53